Friday, September 24, 2010

Inglewood: My Hometown

I grew up in California. To be specific I lived in Inglewood. I loved it; many people would call it the ghetto, the hood, or the Wood. To me it was home, Irving drive is the place where I would call my home. Like Maya Angelou I at one point was ashamed. My feelings of being ashamed came from the people who were associated with the city, and what the city was known for. Many people say nothing good could possibly come from Inglewood, and that alone was a big reason for me being ashamed. Inglewood is known for drugs, hookers, fights, shootings, and gangs. When I lived there it was a way of life everybody does drugs, or drinks it’s just what you do in “The Wood”. It wasn’t until I moved away that I became ashamed. Like in “Sister Flowers” I am known to almost everyone to be the nice, respectable, wholesome girl. My thought was how they would look at me if they knew that I was from Inglewood: the hood. Like Maya, I had someone to teach me that that really didn’t matter. That person was my sister, Charrissa, she taught me to be proud of where I came from because that is the only thing in life that I have to be proud of. She taught me to look at it in a different perspective “The people that I knew in Inglewood are still there doing the same things, and you are gone doing different things to better your life. It’s not that I am ashamed of those people because I love them for being them and not changing, just like they love me for being me, and getting out of there.” My home will forever be 14590 Irving drive Inglewood, CA, but just because I don’t live the way the people in Inglewood do doesn’t make me ashamed of them I just love them for who they are and what they taught me with the time I had with them.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Samantha,

    Thank you for sharing!

    I like the comparison you make between the author and yourself. You tell us that you felt ashamed like Ms. Angelou did in the essay, but you also explain why.

    I agree with your sister. You have gone on to bigger and better things. Kudos!

    MS. C

    ReplyDelete